D,
I assigned a handle that's large enough for the text, but only contains a
single NULL character at application launch.

at the top of mainFormInit():
[snip]
MemHandle fld = MemHandleNew(128);
char* fldT = MemHandleLock(fld);
(*fldT)=0;
MemHandleUnlock(fld)
FldSetTextHandle(getObjectPointer(pForm, mainField), fld);
[/snip]

Ryan