>Can I rely on the text and textlen members of a FieldType structure
>variable for READ-ONLY uses?  Or am supposed to be using
>FldGetTextPtr and FldGetTextLength to keep me arm's length from
>internal structures?

The latter.  Use the APIs when they exist; that's what they're there for :-)

Seriously, relying on the OS's private structures is not a good idea if you
want to continue to work on future devices and OS revisions.

If/when there are places that APIs need to be written, bring up the topic
and we can talk about those cases.

-David Fedor
Palm Developer Support