At 12:00am -0700 00-07-29, Palm Developer Forum digest wrote:
>Subject: How to modify a program during execution...
>From: DIAMOND JEFF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:25:07 -0400
>
>I desire to modify data within the actual code of a program while it is
>executing.
>
>I have two questions:
>
>(1) Will this generate an access violation?
>(2) Will the change persist, i.e., in the PalmOS, is code being executed
>in place or is it copied before being executed?

In general, having an app modify itself can cause problems. For
example, if a user flashes your app into ROM, then your code will
fail.

Also, there could be situations in future versions of the Palm OS
where an application _does_ get temporarily copied into memory before
it's executed, and thus your changes won't "stick".

So my question would be why you need to have a self-modifying app?

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
TransPac Software, Inc.
<http://www.transpac.com>