From: "Tilo Christ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What are bitmap-families good for?

> Unfortunately, I am unable to understand what good it is to
> bundle bitmaps together into a family??? Could someone please
> enlighten me?

Enlightenment takes many lifetimes.  I don't think my advice is going to
help that much! ;)

A Bitmap Family allows you to create multiple bitmaps and let the OS decide
for you which one to display.  For example, if you want one app to display a
color bitmap on a color device under version 3.5 and to display a "black &
white" bitmap on non-color devices, use a bitmap family which contains a
1-bit and an 8-bit bitmap.  You don't have to write any code to select the
right bitmap -- the OS takes care of it all for you.