I'm loth to enter this thread, but I noticed something that was missing.
        (Discussing CE vs. Palm OS is healthy, but frequently
        this thread seemed inappropriate for this forum.)

MS is currently giving away lots of their software for CE v3.  They
only usually do that when they are at a severe competitive
disadvantage because selling software is their primary business.
And they didn't initially give away the development software when
CE v3 first came out (I don't think).

The conclusion is that Palm OS has the market leadership, and that
initial sales of CE v3 devices were below expectation, and MS has
reacted to this disappointment with free software.

Roger Stringer
Marietta Systems, Inc.

>Subject: RE: Palm PDA - Market Share ???
>From: Tom McCormick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:40:37 -0400

>I haven't seen anything too recently (< a few weeks), but it was ~80% where
>it has been for a while (check out www.palm.com <http://www.palm.com> 's
>About page and IDC www.idc.com) <http://www.idc.com)> .
> Note: Beware of reports that show Handspring and Palm as different; they
>both run the PalmOS

        <snip>
.