On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Nesse, Rustin wrote:

> Hmm...very Windowsish...well, you could do a few graphical buttons that
> either update the form objects, or update a window rectangle, etc., by
> moving the objects around or loading a different picture, or whatnot.
> You'd just have to draw the bitmap, then place the buttons on top of the
> window or form.  This function really isn't necessary unless you're
> emulating a Windows program(and yes, I see the hypocracy here...

Graphic interfaces is not just a windows thing...  The palm uses
graphics also, just not as much.  But I would not discount all this
"windosishness".  Don't get me wrong, I can't really stand MS.  I wish
they had a serious competitor.

I have owned a palm for a couple of years.  People around me, in a
large engineering office, see me using it all the time, and have
never seen the need for one.  The other day I
bought a Jornada 548 for some development I am doing.  I was showing how
it replaced 1) my calculator, 2) my organizer, 3) my tape recorder,
4) my CD player, etc Everyone immediately began to express the desire
for one of these.

The thing that I would point out that whenever this subject comes up,
it almost always boils down to the price.  That is a failed
argument.  Prices always come down.

I have a PalmIIIc that I paid almost as much as my Jornada 548 and when
you put them side-by-side, you quickly recognize the Jornada as
"smoking" the palmiiic.  I have had over a year to fill the palmIIIc
with useful programs.  The Jornada comes ready to go with more than my
PalmIIIc.

I know this might seem like it is off topic but I wish Palm would see
the handwriting on the wall and react to demand.  I'd hate to let
MicroSoft get too big of a hold on this market.  I predict that in less
than two years, users will be demanding color and sound.  Anyone not
producing those type of devices...