As someone who's about to start actually trying to sell a program, rather
than provide it as freeware, I've followed this discussion with a lot of
interest.

Two or three years ago I read something on one of the palm newsgroups
that stuck with me.  Someone wrote that the purpose of copy protection
wasn't to keep people from stealing your program.  That is, essentially
impossible.  Anyone with enough knowledge and time can do that.  The
purpose of copy protection is to keep honest users honest.  That is,
don't make it too easy for them to share your program, don't make it
easy for a non-paying person to use your program, but there's no need
to make it difficult for the basically honest people, either.

When I decided on how I would handle copy protection in my current
project, I kept this in mind.  Guess I'll see how well it works.

Sean.

---
Sean L. Gilley                              If the people are buying tears
614-860-0247 (h)                            I'll be rich someday.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]