> You haven't described what you are searching for.  Normally you would
> pack one search entry per database record, or N entries.

yes!!! I use this method before. But the search function is part of my engine
that is corss platform. There is no this 64K limit in other platforms. I want
use the same search code in all platforms.

> I don't understand about your search program.  Why can't you modify
> it?  If your search program (or whatever) requires monolithic data,
> there is no way to do something over 64k (except os 3.5).
>
> FileStreams can handle arbitrary sized data, but they don't create
> monolithic blocks - they function like the stdio fopen/fread type
> calls.

If I break into 2 records (60 and 40 KB). I get 2 record pointers (A, B), does

the memory location of the end of A equal to the previous byte location of the
start of
B?

Eric