Just noticed this post, Aaron.  :)

16-bit color support is available in the latest Palm-RC (based on pilRC and
functionally compatible).

You can get the latest Palm-RC by installing the 2.0 Development Kit from
here:
http://www.handspring.com/developers/sw_dev.jhtml

The source code will be available here:
http://www.handspring.com/developers/sw_source_code.jhtml
although I don't see it here yet.

Aaron, I'll send you the Palm-RC source code offline.  I had planned to do
this earlier but it fell off my list.  Of course it will be online soon,
too.

Also, info on implementing 16-bit color support (APIs, etc) can be found
here:
http://www.handspring.com/developers/Devkit2/Handspring_Product_Guide_Visor_
Prism.pdf

bob