Using the bitmap families are what you'll do in Codewarrior to
achieve the scaling down from color, to grayscale, to b&w.
Getting the OS version is still a decent idea, since some of the
commands you may use with your color bitmap might be unsupported
in a, say, Palm V running PalmOS 3.2 or something.  WinScreenMode
is a necessary function when working with bitmaps because it can
give you most, if not all, the information you need when working
with different bitmaps and bit depths, geometries, etc.

To answer the original question, neither.  It will not really
adjust the bitmap to look right, but chances are it'll turn out
to be probably a completely black rectangle.  But it usually
doesn't exactly CRASH the Palm.  If it's a bitmap family, then the
OS will adjust your bitmap.

-Rus