On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Richard M. Hartman wrote:

> <<<<<
> S.V.BADARI NARAYANA MURTHY wrote in message <31992@palm-dev-forum>...
>
> hai all
>
>    I want to store "?" into a Char*. if i give like this
>
> Char* temp;
> temp="?";
>
>      it will store "\?". why its adding \ before ?. how to store only "?".
> if
> any one have idea regarding this, please help me.
>

> Now aside from what Morgan wrote about what the backslash
> really means, you have other problems.
>
> First off, "Char *temp;" is declaring a variable which will be a
> -pointer- to some memory into which you in intend to store
> Chars ... but you never gave it any memory to point -to-.  Look
> at MemHandleNew() and MemPtrNew().  Don't forget the matching
> deletes once you're done w/ the memory !

Not quite true. Technically he did allocate memory.  the literal string
"?" allocates memory for the '?' character.  There may be a problem with
the life of this storage but it is allocated and does exist.  "?" means
pointer to memory containing the string that contains just the '?' plus
string terminator.