Probably you should use StrLen in place of sizeof

-----Original Message-----
From: Mauricio Tavares [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 2:52 PM
To: Palm Developer Forum
Cc: Palm Developer Forum
Subject: Correction to: Re: Stupid string list question

At 10:40 AM 12/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
>From: "Mauricio Tavares" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> and convert to the list object so it can be shown.  But, what I want is
>> read in the string list and then select one of its entries and then print
>> it.  Can't I just get it off the string list or should I convert it to a
>> list first?
>
>Create the string list as a resource (in Constructor), then use
>SysStringByIndex() to retrieve one of the strings from the list.

        Richard,

        I looked at the Palm OS SDK Reference, and saw the format for this
function is

Char* SysStringByIndex (UInt16 resID, UInt16 index, Char* strP, UInt16
maxLen)

>From what I understood, resID is the resource ID for the string list, index
is the string #, strP is a string that is there just as a placeholder in
memory so SysStringByIndex has a place to put its return argument.

As a quick and dirty but not very elegant test, I wrote the following
function:

static void DrawOneListItem(void)
{
        CharPtr theString;
        Char theStringPtr[255];

        theString = SysStringByIndex(stringQuotes, 2, theStringPtr, 255);
        WinDrawChars(theString, sizeof(theString), 1, 130);
}

Where my string list looks like this in my .rcp file:

STRINGTABLE stringQuotes
  "moose bit my sister" "Ministry of silly walks" "nights who say ni"

When I try the above routine, shown above asking for the 3rd string
(index=2), what I get is "moose", nothing else.  So, that would make me
think that no matter what I fed to index, theString ends up always being
the first word in the first string.  Would you have an idea why?  Could I
be passing the wrong arguments?  Why does theString only contain the first
string up to the first blank space?