On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Brian Mathis wrote:

> I think the response is correct.  Anyone who refers to flash RAM as ROM
> should be corrected.  This is a technical industry and correctness in
> terminology is very important.

Ok, you are corrected.  The correct terminology is Flash Memory.  But
aside from that, Flash memory is closer to ROM than RAM.  Flash memory
for one is non-volatile (a key characteristic of ROM; RAM is volatile)
plus the fact that it is, as far as I have found, never referred to as
RAM, with one exception.

There is, however, a direct reference to the term "Flash RAM".  It is a
type of RAM that uses Flash technology and, because it is volatile, is
referred to as "Flash RAM".

Here is also a link to a Flash Manufacturer and they point out on the
first page "unlike RAM"....

www.kingston.com/flash/