This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it.  I would appreciate
assistance from someone who actually uses grayscales, in this manner.

I have an application that uses Color.   The color bitmap is simply a
background bitmap to a form.  That's it's sole purpose.  There is no
code manipulation of this bitmap and no code related to the bitmap.  The
color background shows up as desired.

I use prc-tools  and use the  BITMAPFAMILIES but use only two colors in
the other non-color bitmaps.

NOW, I want to create a grayscale image for the 2 bit and 4 bit images.
Is it possible to change the 2 bit and 4 bit images to use grayscale and
NOT require any new code AND have the grayscale image show up on
grayscale devices and the b/w image on 1 bit devices?

I don't have a grayscale palm to test this on.  I tried this once but even the
emulator was not showing grayscale.  What is the best debug ROM for
testing grayscale functionality?

So, I must be doing something wrong.  Maybe I'm using the wrong gray
colors or something in my bitmaps.  Is the loading of grayscale images
on a grayscale machine automatic OR does the user have to put the palm
in some special mode to load the grayscale images, instead of a b/w
image?