I found the problem.  Mystery solved.  It was a problem in my resource file.
Someone else on the ng had this problem back in September.  After searching
for a while in the ng I found their solution.  I had an icon family in the
resource that was not being used.  It had no icons assigned to the family.
I removed this unused icon family and everything works fine now.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  This is the second time now that I have
had a resource file cause me to have strange problems.