> Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question about setting up the
> prc-tools.  The thing that I found that I was doing wrong was that I had
> mounted c:\PalmDev\sdk-4 to /PalmDev.  Therefore, the compiler was looking
> for the sdk (I assume) in this folder.  When I mounted c:\PalmDev\sdk-4 to
> /PalmDev/sdk-4, it was able to find the necessary files to
> compile.  However, if someone could explain to me why this mapping is
> needed, I would greatly appreciate it.  It seems redundant to me, but
> obviously necessary.  And...I did find the documentation on your site
> helpful.  From the install instructions on Palm's  site, I was not aware
> that I needed to add a flag to my specs file in order for the compiler to
> know where to find my sdk.

  /PalmDev = mount point to find the base sdk's.

     /PalmDev/sdk      - the default sdk
     /PalmDev/sdk-3.5/ - the -palmos3.5 sdk

> I can't say how much I really appreciated the response.  It helped me zoom
> in on where the problem might be.  I've been trying to install prc-tools in
> my spare time for the past 2 weeks.  Although I read many different
> installation instructions, and tried to track down the problem through this
> method, it was very helpful to have some feedback.

  if (/PalmDev = c:\PalmDev)
    unzip 4.0 sdk to C:\PalmDev\sdk-4

  to make sdk-4 the default, create a symbolic link so that sdk/ means
  sdk-4/ - its basic unix stuff.

> >   also, this stuff is NOT supported by palm in any way :) if you
> >   do exactly as said in the devkit install pages, it *should* work
> >   out.. a lot of people have done it.. :)
>
> If it's not supported by palm, then why do they claim that it is in their
> documentation.
>
> http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/tools/
>
> Check out what it says under PRC-Tools.

  prc-tools 2.0 was created BEFORE the 4.0 SDK was shipped. if you use
  any of the other sdk's - it will work. you had to do a little fudge
  for the 4.0 sdks - as i said on the faq section on my website.

> I guess the good thing about this entire experience is that I might be able
> to help someone with a future problem on this topic.  I know that lots of
> people have installed prc-tools successfully, and I just wanted to be one
> of them.

  well, there is an *easy* solution. just dont use prc-tools.

  the install instructions on my website *work* - and, the FAQ tells
  you how to get around certain things that may go bad.

---
$ mount
Device                                   Directory    Type    Flags
C:\Program Files\GNU PalmPilot\prc-tools /prc-tools   native  text!=binary
C:\Program Files\GNU PalmPilot\sdk       /PalmDev     native  text!=binary
C:                                       /            native  text!=binary
---

  that means that sdk-4 should be installed under

    C:\Program Files\GNU PalmPilot\sdk\sdk-4

  and, in should create a symbolic link, or, modify the specs file (which
  is not supported to tell the compiler what to do if -palmos4 is provided)

    ln -s sdk-4 sdk

  this page says everything

    http://www.ardiri.com/index.php?redir=palm&cat=devkit&subcat=faq

  and, dont bug myself or john marshall about problems :) you are on
  your own - it works for me, and, thats what matters.

// az
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ardiri.com/    <--- free games!