From: RB
There are 2 ways to create a graphic button before OS 3.5: 1) use a gadget,
or 2) put a bitmap on top of a button.

This KB article tells one way: http://oasis.palm.com/dev/kb/faq/1092.cfm

Here are some posts from the archives:

I think you should have been able to find this stuff yourself.  (That's why
I suggested you look in the archives.)