hmmm,  it was C++ code.  The routine in question was not very big or
complex.  I believe it received a buffer pointer, read from it, and
used a switch statement to call other member functions to do other
stuff to it.

  In grasping at straws, I had even tried moving its location from the
bottome to the top of  the source file.

Once or twice, it seemed that the values for some variables were read
from memory locations that were off by a byte or 2.

I hope that helps.

Walt