"Essell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Hi guys ..
>
> I have an application in which I have to display colour bitmaps. I'm
using
> Codewarrior .. I manage to do this using a Bitmap Family. The problem
is
> that Bitmap Family is not supported on OS versions prior to Palm OS
3.5 & so
> if I run this application on any older OS version , the application
crashes.
> If I don't use a bitmap family .. and I use just a normal Bitmap
resource,
> the bitmap is displayed in black & white. This happens across OS
versions,
> whether or not the OS/device supports colour.

Bitmap families are just concatenated bitmaps of different color
resolutions, using a previous unused field in the BitmapType header to
chain the bitmaps together.

They were designed to be backwards compatible.  If you always have a
1-bit bitmap as the first member of the family, then you can show that
bitmap on code running on previous OS versions.

OS 3.5 was the first version to really support non-B/W modes.  OS 3.3
added some support for 2-bit work, but it was done separately.  I think
its reasonable to only support 1-bit mode for devices that aren't
running Palm OS 3.5 or later.