re: the doc writer(s) weren't thinking about scrollbars when they wrote the
text you quoted

In my neck of the professional Software Development world, the tech writers
take direction from the engineering department on which major subjects and
associated details need to go into the manuals, then use their wordsmithing
skills to make it palatable to the general audience for whatever type of
document they're writing.  It would be rare for there to be a complete
disconnect between the gang developing the features, and those documenting
them.

I still say it was an oversight.  I don't think there is a way it could be
proven either way, without input from the original development team, or
access to the design documents.  At this stage of the game, it doesn't make
much difference, other than the fact that the promise of a Dynamic User
Interface capability remains unfulfilled.