Thanks for the response.  Yes I have the pcrelconstdata pragma
on, and that helped somewhat, but the problem is that the array
length is variable, so I didn't want to chew up a bunch of space
by predefining the array length for the longest one, ... so I
included a pointer to an array instead.

It seems to me that I can do this with just about every other
compiler/architecture I have run across (I'm from the embedded
world where const allows me to build structures in ROM).

GB