On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Hal Mueller wrote:
> Why use a device-specific patch?  Why not just detect the device
> make/model in a function (maybe that's in one shared library)?

  problem is that you can NOT detect that the display controller
  is so.. you can poke around at 0x1f000000 (+offset for 0x24)
  when dealing with SED controllers, but, if they dont map the
  display controller to this area - your foobared.

  reading memory location that doesn't exist? = FATAL EXCEPTION

> You would still have to update that shared library for new devices,
> but I think that asking the average user to figure out what device he
> has and to install the right patch file is a support nightmare
> waiting to be hatched.

  most unit numbers are written ON the unit :)

// az
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ardiri.com/