Thanks for your help Mahesh and Bill.  Sometimes I
struggle with the simplest things.
Now I get not initialized error when clearly it is.

Warning : variable 'waterString' is not initialized
before being used
Information.c line 11    Char * waterString;

Err DisplayRecords(DmOpenRef gInformationDb, UInt16
recIndex){

 Err err = 0;
 Char * waterString;

 MemHandle InfoRecord = DmQueryRecord(gInformationDb,
recIndex);
 if (!InfoRecord)
  err = DmGetLastErr();
 else {

  InfoRecordStruct * rec = (InfoRecordStruct *)
MemHandleLock(InfoRecord);
  StrIToA(waterString, rec->waterbody);

If I change the code to this

waterString = StrIToA(waterString, rec->waterbody);

I get an error that I just wrote to the heap.