Hi all,

I've been trying to decode the attributes field of the palm database header.

I'm looking at
http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/fileformats/Intro.html#939653 which
shows the format of the palm database header.

It shows the offset for the attributes field at 0x20, and 2 bytes in length.
The above document says :

attributes The attribute flags for the database.
For PQA databases, this field always has the value dmHdrAttrBackup |
dmHdrAttrLaunchableData

What about when they are NOT a PQA database?  What are these flags used for
and where can I find an exhaustive list?

I was looking at a .pdb file generated by "FireConverter" which converts
.jpgs/.gifs/etc to .pdb for use with FireViewer, a popular graphics viewer.
In the case of an 8-bit color compressed image, it appears the two attribute
bytes are 0x0000"

LFTP, a mini primitive ftp program for the palm (written by Laurent Thaler
but based on example code), happens to create a database whose attributes
field has 0x0008 instead, although the entire database (excluding the
header) is ftp'd in its entirety.  This attribute field change is enough for
the graphic(which is ftp'd) to not be displayed properly because the
FireViewer software believes the image to be of a different color depth.

Does the programmer have complete freedom to use the attributes field to
store any type of data he wishes?  It's obvious that the FireConverter
people used at least the second byte (offset 0x21) to store their data.  If
not, where is the list of which attributes that are possible, and what
effect does it have on the OS?

Thanks,

Keith Monahan