> For those of us that have seen very little of the Palm OS internals, what
> exactly does "Dm semaphore" refer to?

The storage heap is protected from accidental modification. When you call a
Data Manager API that modifies the storage heap, it temporarily allows write
access to the storage heap. That's what I was referring to. However,
DmFindSortPosition doesn't modify the storage heap, or at least it
shouldn't. (It's generally safe to assume that the comparison callback is
non-destructive.) So I was wrong - there is no significant performance
penalty for rolling your own binary search routine.
--
Danny @ PalmSource