Thanks.  I've been using the old serial manager mostly, then
converted to the new one for some USB stuff, but never played
with the new funcs such as:

SrmSetWakeupHandler( )
SrmOpenBackground( )

So they might help.  Part of my problem is that I need my
program to operate sometimes in the absence of new serial data
(say, at a near-fixed rate).  It seems to me that the above will not
help in such an instance.  I could register for a notification for
"sysNotifyEventDequeuedEvent", but that would be sporadic at
best.  Perhaps the notification handler could enqueue a nilEvent
to keep the fire going, but I could see how that might be a
burden on the rest of the system.

GB