I don't see why not.  You'd need to get a hardware manual for the
microprocessor and deal with the data-direction register for the
port, etc.  Obviously you would have to disable the UART's
control of the port.  Now whether the PalmOS will be happy
with this is anyone's guess.  And you'd have portability issues,
etc. etc.

The other alternative is to create an external RS-232 to I2C
device and run it from the UART.  This is fairly easy to do in
a small 8-bit micro (which could be extremely tiny).  I have
gone this route before, but not for the Palm.

GB