I have looked at all the links provided in this thread.  I think that
this is an issue that Palm should clear up.  If unique IDs really are
not guaranteed to be constant and unique, I am not sure what the
point of them are.

The consensus seems to be that it is very very unlikely to run into a
duplicate unique ID or have a unique ID of a record change on you.
But apparently it can happen in some rare situations where there has
been a hard reset and a software restore.

Since using a custom written "Unique ID" system is most likely going
to be slower, I have decided to both stick with Palm's unique ID
system and write my own. I will tag each record with my own unique
ID.  However, until I run into any problem with Palm's unique ID
system, I am going to have my unique ID system remain dormant.  If a
problem results, I will essentially be able to flip a switch and
start using my own unique IDs instead of Palm's built in unique IDs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Sean Kennedy