I think that the question that you should be asking is "why do you want to
run Code Warrior on a Palm device"? What is the requirement that you are
trying to meet?

I can see 3 different possibilities for what you're trying to do:

1 - Run specific PC applications on a Palm device because you want that
specific applications' features on the palm. i.e. a compiler

2 - Have an ultra-portable device that has the power of a 'server'.

3 - Implement a compiler (or other app) on Palm so that you can use it on
the Palm platform.

To address each of these:

1 - This is, basically, impossible. Just as it is impossible to run a
Windows application on a Mac (or even a PC running linux), it is impossible
to run them on Palms. A Windows application is delivered as a windows
executable file. It contains intel x86 instructions, and calls to Windows'
system calls. The instructions will not work on either the 68000 chip, or
the ARM chips because they are different instruction sets. The Windows
system calls are not on the Palm (becuase it runs palmos).

Some machines are able to emulate the behaviour of other machines via
software called an emulator. There are no Windows emulators available for
Palm OS at this time. The reasons for this is that the palm has a smaller
screen, no file system (and about a million other deficencies when compared
to the PC) that software cannot compensate for. I doubt that there will ever
be any such emulator for palm OS.

2 - This is entirly possible (unless you're talking about a *really* high
end server). It just costs alot more money than a Palm does. The Palm
platform is geared towards *personal use*. Not as a server. Making a Palm
that had the power of a Sparc III or P III or whatever would probably be
possible for Palm to do. But the development cost of such a product would be
*enormous*. The demand would be tiny (what is the point?), and the on shelf
cost would be astronomical, it just doesn't make economic sense. Remember
also that most server applications require high uptime, using a Palm size
device with a portable power supply, that can be dropped into water or
whatever is not right.

If you *really* need portable server arrangment on this kind of scale, that
a look at tadpole:

http://hw.tadpole.com/html/

Sparc workstations in a laptop.

3 - The only sane idea here. If you want a compiler/IDE on your Palm, then
write one. One that has only the features that you want (I mean, do you
*really* want to write all your code in graffiti?).

I believe that there are already one or two products like this.

In answer to your other questions:

1 - Palm OS is the most mature Palm top platform afaik. It isn't designed to
handle these kind of apps, because adding that kind of power would not make
for a popular product due to the increased cost that would be passed to the
customer (of which there would be few in this instance).

2 - None of the compeditors are binary compatible with any desktops afaik.
They too suffer under the same engineering and economic realities as Palm.

In conclusion, it is possible to do somthing like this if you really want to
IMHO. But the cost of such an engineering effort will be large enough to
make it an unreasonable undertaking. If you were going to Mars and you
needed a server for the astronauts to check their mail on while they're
space walking, but it needs to fit into a lander, then *mabye* (just mabye)
you might have a requirement that is best suited to the kind of platform
that you are suggesting, and *mabye* you'll have enough money to build one,
instead of spending it on more useful hardware (like rockets).

It doesn't sound like you're working for NASA to me ;)

In future you should probably phrase your questions with real-life examples
of what you are trying to achieve. "A server" is a pretty vague requirement.