>but wouldn't it produce an empty filename? and maybe the FATFS
>implementation run into a neverending loop with empty filenames?

All PalmLatin characters can be converted into Unicode (UTF-16LE) for
the long version of the file name. For short DOS filenames, if a
character can't be converted then it's mapped to a '_'. But maybe
there's a bug in that logic, and the end result is an empty or
invalid short DOS file name.

-- Ken

--
Ken Krugler