> did you read my response?
>
> to be O(log n) you must have the records sorted by unique ID.
> and, i doubt the OS is going to re-arrange everything for you
> to make this possible.. dont you think?

Yes, but there are many other ways and algorithms to make it
work faster. (for example to store (ID,index) pair and to have
some additional DB sorting table). Of course I'm not trying to
force OS developers to re-arrange everything for me :)))
I just don't understand why it is not realized in ortder to be faster.
It is very critical for large databases.

thanks,
Max.