I am seeking advice on structuring my database when there may be several records that don't have valid data in all fields (columns), like a jagged array.

For example, I am creating a table of items sold during the week:

Item SU MO TU WE TH FR SA
---- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
soup 5 2 3 0 0 0 0
salad 6 2 5 4 2 0 0
sndwch 2 2 3 5 2 2 2
soda 3 3 8 8 1 1 0
water 2 2 2 2 0 0 0

What are some of the strategies I should consider in creating my Database -- Knowing that some items will always have ZEROS to close out the week. (Soup and Water never offered on TH,FR,SA.)

The table above may be upwards of 30 items. I may want to turn the columns into Months of the year and thus have 12 columns (with the same jagged-edge possibility - e.g. Salad not in season Nov-Dec).

I'm trying to take into consideration the limited memory size of the handheld, that is why I am asking this question.

Any help?
Thanks in advance,
Johnny