You missed my point.  In the Palm, those developers are required.  On the
PocketPC they are not required.

Most users of PDA only have a few things they need to do.  Most don't have
special applications that require special software.  Yes, many do, but not
most.

Those applications that most use, are not available on the Palm (or at
least not good ones).  On the PocketPC, there is very useful applications
for most users.

For those special applications, they exist for the PocketPC.

Example:
Memo - pathetic on the Palm; need 3rd party (much better app on the PocketPC)
Spreadsheet - not available on Palm; need 3rd party (excel compatible
included on PocketPC)
Calculator (pathetic on the Palm); need 3rd party (quite useable one on
PocketPC)
Word Processor - not available on Palm; need 3rd party (word compatible on
PocketPC)
MP3 player - not available on Palm; need 3rd party (quite useful one is
available on PocketPC)

It goes on and on.  You buy a Palm and you MUST look for 3rd party to have
a decent PDA.  On a PocketPC, you don't have to buy any other software to
have a very useful PDA.

But the file system issue is what will kill the Palm, if they don't come
up with something that is compatible with the PC.  Disagree, if you like,
but you heard it here first (years ago).