Eyemodule works with original JPEG library modified in this way:
- (a) palm #defines in jconfig.h
- (b) own i/o, error treatment and allocations (this is a must)
- changes needed to run as shared lib (I would start without these changes)
- few added colorspaces (unimportant at the beginning)
- they include only compression half; I would go for original library and
apply changes (a)+(b)

JPEG library is well written and reliable engine, but there is no easy entry
point.
You have to invest lot of time ...
I briefly compared the engine and it is OK. If any problem, then it should
be in (b), but that's the part which you can check yourself. (Finally, it is
in your interest as you may want to supply your own solution.)

JERR_BAD_HUFF_TABLE error code, which you report, seems to point to some
setup problem. One possibility would be to debug the bug. It can't be a big
deal to find out what's going wrong - just put BP before error report and
then look where the tables are produced. It could be
jpeg_gen_optimal_table().
For the start I would certainly work without shared lib by linking library
files statically. (Read jcpalm.txt)

Jan Slodicka