In my HandyShopper app, I was using 1bpp bitmaps to draw certain screen
elements.  On various Clie devices that sometimes locked up the device.  I
worked around the problem by defining a custom font with the images I needed
and using the custom font instead of the 1bpp bitmaps.  A bit of a PITA but
it works.  (And Clie devices are all OS 4.x or higher, so you know it's safe
to use a custom font).