A few people using upIRC have been reporting sluggish keyboard response
while it's connected to a server.  The latest reports the same behavior
with some networked apps (like terminal emulation) have the same problem,
but not others (like ICQ).

My only theory is that the keyboard driver is latching into EvtGetEvent
(and somehow doing the equivalent on OS 5, in the last case) and supplying
the key events that way.  In my case, though, I'm using NetLibSelect to
see if events are in the queue while I'm connected, and the keyboard
driver may not be handling that correctly.  That's the only thing I can
think of, since my Wireless Link keyboard doesn't give me the same
problems... it works fine.

Does that sound like a logic conclusion?  If so, is there any way to get
around it, short of going back to EvtGetEvent as the core of the event
loop?  I could shorten the timeout on NetLibSelect to make it a little
better, but that would also drain the battery faster.  Going back to the
old event loop would have the same effect, since I'd have to do polling of
the network connection.