>greetings,

>there was a post here within the last 2-3 weeks in which it was
>suggested that it might be advantageous to use a feminine name (I
>believe "Pamela" was one of the suggested names) in order to get even
>more help and faster, even (jokingly) a suggestion that there should be
>an "easy C questions from girls" list -- I remember because I tried to
>subscribe to that one. :o)

I have gotten very helpful pointers to other resources when posting here.

I did read that thread even though I did not find it particulary amusing.
Being a computer science masters student does tend to put you among a lot
of boys, not many _men_ among them. I'm sure some people like the attention
and help because of their gender, but that is not the whole story and it
certainly does nothing to promote that women certainly can perform as well
as men or martians in regards to programming be it low level or high level.

It was certainly an overreaction on my part, and my reply to the free advice
post was as much a reply to the thread you are quoting. It would be nice
if people could get over the gender thing and see people as people instead,
but I suppose that is not going to happen in my lifetime.

I must say though that if the idea that women ask all the easy C-questions
is something that people really believe they should broaden their horizons
a little. I'm sure that most people on this board do _not_ believe that, but
threads talking about "easy C questions from girls" isn't exactly displaying
that to the outside.

I was just overreacting and I apologize for that but not for the thoughts
behind it. Other places are much better suited for a pursuite of theese
issues however.

Veronica