OK, I FINALLY found the sample code in the Palm knowledge base.  They
appear to recommend NOT using WinCreateOffscreenWindow, and instead
create a V3 bitmap and wrap it.

But they also access structures internally, and use the
memNewChunkFlagAllowLarge flag with MemChunkNew to create buffers.
While the demo code says it is designed from PalmOS5.0/5.1, I have
seen posts of people that say they memNewChunkFlagAllowLarge flag
didn't work when called from Pace.  But I guess I'll just have to try
this stuff and see.

It just seems though that Palm must have intended some high level way
to allocate a huge bitmap without getting into the internals.

I would love for other people to share the ways they have been doing
high res screen buffers under OS 5.  I agree with other posters that
it was much easier to work with high Res on the OS 4.x platforms.
There you just could go to screen VRAM, use some pages for your
buffers, and no allocation or heap usage needed.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "jeffreyrdiamond
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ken, I am getting desperate!  How did you get around the 64K problem?
> If I use WinCreateOffscreenWindow with native format, I get a memory
> error.
>
> In fact, every approach I have tried to create a screen buffer > 64K
> has failed!
>
> Several people spoke of an example code which shows how to do this,
> but I could not find the sample code on the Palm website or with the
SDK.