Solved the issue:

The problem was that you have to call
WinSetCoordinateSystem(kCoordinatesNative);
before every single graphics call, 'cause it's always being set back
to low resolution.

In this case, I forgot to call it again right before creating my
offscreen window.  So when I told it to create a 320 x 320 x 8
offscreen window it created a 640 x 640 x 8 offscreen window (thinking
I was specifying a high density bitmap by means of low density
coordinates), which I had misinterpreted as being a 16-bit window
until I found out more about it.

Once I added in the extra WinSetCoordinateSystem, I got the buffer I
needed.

I guess this will all be pretty cludgy until the last vestiges of the
PalmOS move over to high density support.

- Jeff