kcorey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone else tried recompiling prc-tools under Developer Studio's
> version of Cygwin?
>
> I was able to go through the setup of the environment, and perform the
> make correctly, however now I'm stuck by a 'make install' command that's
> failing.
>
> Specifically, here are the last few lines after the 'make install'
> command is given:
>
> --------------------------
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/prctoolsbuild/build/crt'
> cd mown-gp; make CC="m68k-palmos-gcc" AR="m68k-palmos-ar"
> RANLIB="m68k-palmos-ra
> nlib" \
>  SDKFLAGS="" MULTIFLAGS=-mown-gp \
>  `echo mown-gp/crt0.o mown-gp/scrt0.o mown-gp/gdbstub.o
> mown-gp/libcrt.a | sed
> 's,[^ /]*/,,g'`
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/prctoolsbuild/build/crt/mown-gp'
> make[2]: `crt0.o' is up to date.
> make[2]: `scrt0.o' is up to date.
> make[2]: `gdbstub.o' is up to date.
> make[2]: `libcrt.a' is up to date.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/prctoolsbuild/build/crt/mown-gp'
> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Cygwin/bin/install -c -d
> /usr/local/m68k-palmos/lib
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 255
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/prctoolsbuild/build/crt'
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> It's wierd, that directory is actually created by this make, so I know
> it's not a permissions problem.  I've got 4GB available on that drive,
> so it's not a disk space issue.
>
> When I go into the build/crt directory, and give the command by hand,
> there's no error reported.  I've also tried searching for the meaning of
> the 255 response in man pages in cygwin, linux, and the info install
> page on Linux, and tried searching escribe, but no joy.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

My guess is that you ran configure without any arguments.
It then tries to install it in the /usr/local/ tree: executables in
/usr/local/bin, libs in /usr/local/lib, etc.
I suppose the directory /usr/local does not exist.
If you want the standard prc-tools installation locations (as per the
prc-tools distribution form sourceforge) add the --prefix=/usr option
to configure.

Hope this helps.

Ton van Overbeek