POL streams don't have built in encoding support unlike .NET streams.
You should read UTF-8 specification and implement custom conversion
routine. Of course, this conversion won't work for some Unicode
characters that can't be represented in Palm OS. Such characters can be
replaced with "?" placeholder.

In fact, first 127 characters in Unicode table match to corresponding
standard ASCII characters, so UTF-8 to Palm conversion can be simplified
if you are not going to support national languages.

Best regards,
Maks Pyatkovskiy