As mentioned, it is the rarest of cases when an app needs to stop a user from exiting.
Some apps may merit at least verifying that the user wants to exit the app and did not
do that on accident. Some apps (security apps) are designed to keep a user in. The
single use device is, I guess, another example. In any case, the user should be well
aware of what you are doing.

How much you want to do depends on how far you want to take it. The most basic step is
to catch appStopEvents in your apps event loop. This way you can control the app from
exiting. Handle the reset launch code to stop them from getting out with a reset.
Previous to OS 5 I think you could use a system extension or virtual serial driver to
still get loaded after an up arrow soft reset. For the up arrow reset on OS 5, give
your app (or a stub) the type and creator of the security application and set the
prefDeviceLocked pref to true. The system will then call your app as if it was the
security app after the up arrow reset. Note that the security app is not the same type
creator on all licensee devices. Also, to be clear, the last step is replacing the
default security application with your own.

-Ezekiel Sanborn de Asis
PalmSource Developer Support