Heh, reminds me of the work I had to do when debugging a Handspring-
-based GSM device that would drop the debug connection as soon as
the serial comms kicked in.  I built a simple logging system that wrote
to a database.  IMHO this work is worth doing because it then becomes
available for other purposes, in my case the most obvious purpose
being switching it on when a difficult client was testing the code so that
his "It crashed!!!!!!" message could be replied to by "In your backup
folder will be a file called blah.pdb, please email me that file".

I've used exactly the same method many time sin the last two years with SmartPhone devices. Works great. funny, I've been programming for 25+ years, and the debugging methods haven't changed all that much. :-) Still decoding hex error codes.

Regards,
Steve Mann