The trouble with benchmarks like this is that they can be very
misleading, and have little to do with the real world. Let me give a
couple of reasons:

1. You can always write a very fast app if you keep all variables in
Dynamic Store. This works fine in a test, with a limited number of
variables. For a sophisticated app, the Dynamic Store is never large
enough, so the much slower regular store has to be used. If you're
working in something like C, the complexities of deciding where each
variable should best reside can be handled by the programmer. For NS
Basic, we didn't want to have programmers worrying about such stuff, so
NS Basic manages it. There is definite overhead to this convenience, but
it sure saves a lot of development time.

2. Use of the Palm object APIs: Palm has a very nice, efficient set of
form and object API functions. Programs that make full use of them (like
NS Basic) will be pretty quick at displaying and updating forms, which is
arguably more of a factor in most Palm apps than calculating perfect
numbers. Once again, NS Basic concentrates on making it easy to use the
Palm object API's.

The speed of NS Basic is pretty good for most apps. On the new Palm OS 5
devices, we've seen elapsed time for incrementing a value 20,000 times
take just 8 seconds. It's rare that that kind of heavy processing is
needed in normal apps.

When you do need more speed, you can write a standard Palm OS shared
library using C (and even put in line assembler code) which is easily
called from with NS Basic.

A benchmark like this needs to be taken in context of the total project:
- How much of the job is CPU bound?
- What long will it take to develop your app?
- How good is the look and feel of the resulting project?
- How compatible will it be with various Palm OS devices?
- How is the support?
- How easy is it to deploy?
- How long has the tools vendor been around - is he likely to be there
for the full life cycle of your product?

We will continue to improve straight line performance of NS Basic, but
all these other things are very important to us.

George Henne
NS BASIC Corporation
http://www.nsbasic.com