Ok, thanks for the feedback on my data read routine. This is my data
create routine. I have a memory leak somewhere and I'm suspecting my
table handling routines. (for a reason that I'll ask about later in an
unrelated problem, I can't run a debug rom.)

void CreateMyData( void ){
    MemPtr   recP;
    MemHandle recH;
    UInt16  index;

    mydataDB DataArea;
    UInt16  pos = dmMaxRecordIndex;

    UInt8 n;

    for (n=0; n<19; n++){

        index = 0;
        recH = DmNewRecord(gDB, &index, sizeof(mydataDB));

        // and lots of data additions here like:
        switch (n){
            case 0:
                StrCopy( DataArea.SOMEFIELD, "somedata");
                break
            etc...
        }

        if (recH){
            recP = MemHandleLock(recH);
              DmWrite(recP, 0, &DataArea, sizeof(mydataDB));
                MemPtrUnlock(recP);
            MemHandleUnlock(recH);
        }
        DmReleaseRecord(gDB, index, true);