I have resolved the problem, but I do not understand why the solution works.
I created the following simple example.

I basically open the file, write four bytes to the beginning of the file,
and then read the next 65500 bytes. I need to add a VFSFileSeed before the
read or the read fails.

error = 0;
UInt16 volRef;
UInt32 volIterator = vfsIteratorStart;
while (volIterator != vfsIteratorStop)
   error = VFSVolumeEnumerate(&volRef, &volIterator);

FileRef fileRef;
error = VFSFileOpen(volRef, LinksFullPath, vfsModeReadWrite, &fileRef);

error = VFSFileSeek(fileRef, vfsOriginBeginning, 0);

UInt32 newData = 1234;
error = VFSFileWrite(fileRef, sizeof(newData), &newData, NULL);

error = VFSFileSeek(fileRef, vfsOriginBeginning, sizeof(newData));   // why
???

MemHandle blockHandle = MemHandleNew(65500);
MemPtr blockPtr = MemHandleLock(blockHandle);
UInt32 number;
error = VFSFileRead(fileRef, 65500, blockPtr, &number);
MemHandleUnlock(blockHandle);
MemHandleFree(blockHandle);