>   Using C for the Palm the best I can do is diligently check the returns
from
>  all the functions??

You can can also use ErrTry/ErrThrow/ErrCatch.  However, they are almost
entirely useless as it doesn't call destructors.  Ok, you don't have
destructors in C, but the point is you won't get any cleanup like you do in
VB/C#/Java/C++, so personally I avoid 'em.

Even in C++, you can't really use try and catch or you will overload the
first segment.
The only reasonable solution, in C or C++, is to check return codes.
IMHO, of course.