> >I see there is a prefMeasurementSystem system preference that seems to=
 be set
 >to unitsEnglish if the OS language is English, metric otherwise. But
 >is there a
 >system or pref dialog that changes it?

> No. It gets initialized at hard reset time to match the measurement
 setting for the system locale, as provided by the Locale Mgr, which
 in turn is read from the 'locs' (68K) or 'alcs' (ARM) system resource.

You mean the country choice?

No, the country/language pair (the locale) that's burned into the ROM when it's built by a licensee.

Canada went metric almost 20 years ago, yet =
my Cli=E9
offers me feet as a default.

The Canadian entry in the 4.0 (and later) locale settings resource is for metric. What version of the ROM are you using? I think there was a change that went in between 3.5 and 4.0, where the Welcome app and the Formats panel would set the measurement system (in prefs) to match the selected locale. So if you're running on 4.0 or later, and have selected "Canada" in the popup list, then the prefs setting should be metric.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
TransPac Software, Inc.