I had the same need, but could not find a proper way to spawn the calculator and
return to my application afterwards. So
instead, when the user hits the calculator button, I link my application to the
calculator button before letting the OS handle
the keyDown event, so that when the user is done with the calculator, hitting the
calculator button again relaunches my
applications, where I restore my previous context (stored in my application
preferences), and reset the calculator button to
its original setting (kept in my application preferences).

--
Luc Le Blanc