Hi, I've seen programs that are activated by hard-buttons that has no GUI but able to affect the form of the application that was running before it. After performing its task, it returns control to the previous running program. How is this done?

For example, let's say I'm using a memo pad and editing a text field. I'll select all the text on the field and press a hard button. When the button is pressed, I want my program to process all the selected text (say, perform a spell check) and change any text in the field if needed. Then I want to quit my application and return control back to the memo pad. How can this be done? This should be possible because I've seen programs that interact even more with another program's form components (like Graffiti Anywhere).

Thank you very much for your help. I've searched high and low for the method but haven't been lucky so far.

Regards,
YK Tan